Sharing God’s Love with
the people of the Eastern Sierra

   
Bishop First United Methodist Church has a long and distinguished history of sharing God’s Kingdom with the people of the Eastern Sierra. Established in 1871, the church has been an important part of the community for over one hundred forty years.

 

During the 1890’s the church established the first secondary education facility called “the Bishop Academy, located at the present site of the Bishop Union High School . In more recent years the church established the United Methodist Social Services, a 501c3, which provide a number of outreach projects in response to community need. Current projects include: The Friendship Center which provides respite care for families struggling with Alzheimer’s Disease, The Soup Kitchen which providing lunches three times each week for persons in need, The Spirit of Recovery which focuses the spiritual and temporal needs of persons in recovery from addictions and The Independent Living Project which provides resources to persons with disabilities wishing to remain independent.

 

Pastors Matt and Erin McPhee are the Co-Pastors of Eastern Sierra Shared Ministry, a Cooperative Parish that includes congregations in Big Pine, Bishop, and Independence. To learn more about the other congregations they serve, go to bigpinechurch.org and pioneermethodist.org.
 
The Bishop congregation worships each week on Sunday morning at 9:30, with child care and Sunday School provided at the same hour. This service is held in the Sanctuary building located at the corner of Church St. and Fowler.

 

The Bishop United Methodist Church is dedicated to mission and putting our faith in action, while maintaining deep roots in the authority of Scripture and the rich traditions that have guided Christians throughout the centuries.  We are a connectional church, in covenant with The United Methodist Church of the California-Pacific Conference.